Winamp supports a wide variety of contemporary and specialized music
file formats, including MIDI, MOD, MPEG-1 audio layers 1 and 2, AAC,
M4A, FLAC, WAV, OGG Vorbis, and Windows Media Audio. It supports gapless
playback for MP3 and AAC, and Replay Gain for volume leveling across
tracks. In addition, Winamp can play and import music from audio CDs,
optionally with CD-Text, and can also burn music to CDs. Winamp supports
playback of Windows Media Video and Nullsoft Streaming Video, as well
as most of the video formats supported by Windows Media Player. 5.1
Surround sound is supported where formats and decoders allow.
Winamp supports many types of streaming media: Internet radio, Internet telelvision, XM Satellite Radio, AOL video, Singingfish content, podcasts, and RSS media feeds. It also has extendable support for portable media players, and users can access their media libraries anywhere via internet connections.
You can extend Winamp's functionality through the use of plug-ins, which are available on the Winamp site.
What's new in this version:
- Improved: Added a Reset button to clear history in the Open/Add URL dialog
- Improved: Added an option to disable the mouse wheel from altering the volume
- Improved: Added more commandline switches (run: winamp.exe /? to see full list)
- Improved: All menus now use the skinned style when option is enabled in ML settings
- Improved: Disable all online features when no internet connection selected in Prefs
- Improved: High DPI & text scaling compatibility fixes for dialogs & library views
- Improved: Increased notification area tooltips up to 128 chars (instead of 64)
- Improved: Library views now optionally group the 'Play' and 'Enqueue' buttons
- Improved: Mass metadata editor from library now also available in Playlist Editor
- Improved: Retry UAC prompt if user previously selected "No" (for relevant settings)
- Improved: Speed-up of Winamp shutdown process
- Improved: [gen_ff] Added a setting to control show/hide time for docked toolbars
- Improved: [gen_ml] Drag & drop handling tweaks
- Improved: [ml_downloads] Added 'Size' column [full release notes]
According to Nullsoft website, over 15 years after its initial release, Winamp will shut down next month, on December 20:
''Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.''
UPDATE: "Save Winamp" website and a petition asking AOL either to keep Winamp alive or to open source its code, are now online.